Re: Lead Primed Structural Steel

Charlie Canitz,

The OSHA Lead in Construction standard 29 CFR 1926.62 provides specific
requirements for the protection of workers when disturbing
lead-containing
paint, including welding and burning.  Engineering controls will likely
be
needed (e.g., removing the paint in advance).  Paint removal can be
accomplished using mechanical methods such as vacuum-shrouded power
tools,
or less "dust-producing" methods such as chemical stripping.  If you
need
specific assistance, you can contact me off-line at ktrimber(--nospam--at)kta.com.
Regards, Ken Trimber

>>One of my current projects involves an existing structural steel
building
>>where some of the existing steel(W shapes) will be removed and
>>re-installed. All of the steel is primed and since the structure was
>>erected during the mid-60's, I'm concerned that the primer may be "red

>>lead". Subsequent sampling and testing will verify if this is the
case. If
>>so, should I be concerned when the iron workers handle this material?
In