RE: Acoustical Ceiling Support

Let me see if I understand you correctly.

You've got joist at 5' O.C.

The Architect's accoustic ceiling system tiles are 4 foot by something else.

Assume for a second that your joists are 4' O.C. which would give us the
following cases
	a. The ceiling ceilings long continuous members (I don't know their name,
I'll call them runners for now) could run parallel to the joist exactly
underneath the joists.  Any deviation from directly underneath will give you
a hanger out of plumb
	b. The runners run perpendicular to the joists.  For the hanger to be
plumb, they'd have to be positioned at the exact spot where the joists and
runners cross.  Obviously this would be true if your joists were 2 feet ot
20 feet O.C.

Now then, how long the runners can span with out support may possibly be an
issue.  Ask the ceiling system manufacturer is your best bet there.  You've
got, what, a whole 3psf ceiling on a 5 foot span?

If your Architect's concern is about plumbness of the wires, let him worry.
I'd be more concerned about the allowable unsupported length of the runners.

David Tehranchi