Re: So-Cal bar joists

Depending on the jurisdiction, bar joists can get complicated in California.
I did a hospital addition using bar joists, however OSHPD (regulating
authority for schools and hospitals) declared that since the centroids of the
web members and the chords in bar joists do not coincide - bar joists use an
irrational design. We were required to load test joists on the site. Given
the choice again, I would use steel beams without question.

Richard Dahlmann, P.E.