RE: Buildings seperation

The logical choice, in my opinion, is to do the analysis as separate
buildings and design the retrofit accordingly. However, I would also provide
for adequate connection between the buildings to minimize pounding between
the buildings (this may be difficult if the buildings are located on
separate properties with separate owners)

You can also do a detailed pounding analysis to figure probable loading from
adjacent buildings and design the mitigation for it. In addition, you can
also try to analyze them as one building (to envelop the possible
scenarios). However, you need to make sure that if there are loads that are
going to be dragged from one building to another, that they are properly
taken care of by providing a complete load path.

Hope this helps

Ben Yousefi, SE
San Jose, CA