RE: Acoustical Ceiling Support

The most economical joist spacing doesn't necessarily produce the most
economical building.  If you use a deeper joist because of the wider
spacing, often the walls become taller.  If you use the same depth joist at
5' or greater spacing they are generally going to weigh more than at 4'
spacing.  You can get ceiling runners that span 5' but light fixtures should
be tied at all four corners and they are typically made for a 4' grid.  Most
UL fire rated ceiling assemblies require hanging at 4' on center.  If you
have to put in a sub-structure to support the ceiling because of an
"economical" joist design, the additional costs may exceed the savings in
the joists.

Roger Davis
SDS Architects, Inc
205 N. Dewey Street