Re: Partition loading

John,

I don't see why the Building Official would get involved in this.  One
way or the other, you are not violating the code.

This is probably an issue for the owner to resolve.  Give your architect
the options so that he can relay them to the owner.  Since the
contractor has bid the deeper joists, have the contractor calculate the
credit that would be received if the shallower joists are employed.  Let
the architect know that the current design accomodates any future
modification and/or relocation of the partition walls.  Since the owner
will probably hold on to the facility for a long term, they may like
that flexibilty.  Alternatively, if the shallower joists are employed,
any future modifications to the partitions will require engineering
analysis and probably some design and construction to strengthen the
structure to accomodate partition changes.  Basically, pay now or pay
later.  The owner can then decide on wether they want the credit from
the owner now and less flexibilty in the future or pay a little more now
and a lot of flexibility in the future.

Jeff Coronado, S.E.
West Covina, CA