FEMA 350

For those who have attended the seminar, read the material or have
participated in the program, I have (at least) one question.

How do we do a "prequalified" connection at the top of a multistory frame or
the connection at a one story frame? All of the "prequalified" connections
show a column extending above the beam quite some distance. If we trim the
column off flush with the beam (more or less), have we voided the
"prequalification"? I'm not sure about steel buildings, but where a steel
frame is incorporated into a wood structure, this could be a problem.

TIA,

Bill Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
ALLEN DESIGNS
Consulting Structural Engineers