From: Mark Pemberton [mailto:Markp(--nospam--at)lbdg.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 27, 2000 11:19 AM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: Anchor Bolts Again

Does anybody know why the tensile strength of an anchor
bolt in concrete is so much higher than in masonry?
(Assuming the stress in the bolt governs)

Concrete: Pss = 0.9Ab(fut)
Masonry: Btn = 0.4Ab(Fy)

For an A36 rod I get: Pss = 0.9Ab(58) = 52.2Ab
                               Btn = 0.4Ab(36) = 14.4Ab

Am I missing something?

Mark Pemberton, P.E..