Re: Anchor Bolts Again

In a message dated 9/27/00 2:49:18 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
GKhosrownia(--nospam--at)spk.usace.army.mil writes:

<< Does anybody know why the tensile strength of an anchor
 bolt in concrete is so much higher than in masonry?
 (Assuming the stress in the bolt governs)

 Concrete: Pss = 0.9Ab(fut)
 Masonry: Btn = 0.4Ab(Fy)

 For an A36 rod I get: Pss = 0.9Ab(58) = 52.2Ab
                                Btn = 0.4Ab(36) = 14.4Ab

 Am I missing something?

It looks like one is the ultimate load and the other is the allowable.

Oshin Tosounian, S.E.
Los Angeles, CA