Re: seaint Digest for 27 Sep 2000

On 9/27 - Bill Allen wrote:

Subject: FEMA 350

For those who have attended the seminar, read the material or have
participated in the program, I have (at least) one question.

How do we do a "prequalified" connection at the top of a multistory frame or
the connection at a one story frame? All of the "prequalified" connections
show a column extending above the beam quite some distance. If we trim the
column off flush with the beam (more or less), have we voided the
"prequalification"? I'm not sure about steel buildings, but where a steel
frame is incorporated into a wood structure, this could be a problem.

Bill - good question.  We never really considered this. I would recommend that
the prequalification be considered to apply at the top of a frame and also that
to do this, the column be terminated at the level of the beam top flange, and
that a cap plate be attached to the column.  The cap plate should be full pen
welded to the web of the column and the column flanges.  The beam top flange
should attach directly to the edge of the top plate.