Re: need information about LRFD for Steel

>So all the belly-aching seems to me to come from people who just don't
>want to bother to learn something new.
Not all the belly-aching comes from that direction. Some of it comes from
engineers who haven't yet received a straight general answer to _why_ ASD
must necessarily be dropped in favor of LRFD. I've seen some
'fer-instances' and some answers that don't make a whole lot of sense
(like the 'European researchers all do it,' bit), but never a general
statement of the reasons why LRFD design is better enough than ASD to
warrant its universal use. I've come up with my own answers for lack of
anything else. No point going into that here.

I doubt that many real engineers belly-ache all that much about learning
something demonstrably better, but a distinction in which vocabulary is
the only difference is another matter.

I really don't want this to turn into another arm-waving contest on the
topic--just to point out that 'new' isn't always 'different' and
'different' isn't always 'better.'

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw