Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Why "stiffening" girder or truss?

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
The girder or truss for cable supported bridges are called "stiffening girder or truss".
However, I could not understand why the giders are called "stiffening girder" rather than just girder.
Does anybody know the meaning of "stiffening" ?
Why is it called stiffening girder?
Thanx in advance
H Gil