Re: What code to use

> I have the original plans and have been told that the house was
>built per the plans, the owner just didn't bother to get a building
>permit.
I get equivalent requests like these for pressure vessels. (Built per the
drawings, pretty much to Code, never go it stamped, too much trouble. Now
we need the tank rated.) I daresay 'built per the plans' means it has
more or less the right number of doors and windows and the reason there
was no Code plate (or permit) was that the vessel (or house) was 30-50%
cheaper that way. Not that there was any malice (probably) just that
people really don't understand what engineering is supposed to do. I'm
usually very polite about quoting a price that will scare off a
cheapskate and pointing out that there is no guarantee of adequacy. That
usually does it.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw