RE: Chords in concrete and masonry buildings

Good point Jeff,

thanks
-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Coronado [mailto:"jcse(--nospam--at)flash.net"@flash.net]
Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2000 7:36 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Chords in concrete and masonry buildings

Marlou,

I don't believe this represents a code violation, but it doesn't sound
like a good idea.  Putting in an extra bar or two horizontally at the
top of the wall seems so simple.  You must have a pretty good reason for
considering not following this path.

My concern is that using the ledger is not standard practice, unless
others correct me on this.  My concern is that 5, 10, 20 years from now,
and after the drawings may have been lost, a new owner is going to
retain another engineer for a T.I.  That engineer will appropriately
assume the chord is in the wall.  They will be careful to not cut
reinforcement.  They will think nothing of cutting or butchering the
ledger.  Maybe a heavy connection butchers the ledger.  Maybe a new beam
and column against the wall cuts the ledger.  I would try to stick with
standard practice.

Jeff Coronado, S.E.
West Covina, CA