Re: What code to use

Nels
If the building does not have a building permit, in the eye of the
jurisdiction it does not exist.  I would venture to guess that the owner is
seeking a loan or is selling the property and he is caguth to justify the
square footage by a legal document as a building permit.  Thus, the
engineer need to desing to minimum standards as established by currnet
code.  In fact the UBC states " The provisions of this code shall apply to
the construction, alteration, moving, demolition, repair, maintenance and
use of any building ..." and further section 103 states " It shall be
unlawful for any person, firm or corporation to erect, construct, enlarge,
alter, repair, move, improve, remove, convert or demolish or maintain any
building ... in violation of this code."
So here you have it.  Performance of the structure is a moot point then, if
existed without the proper record of a building permit.
Samir Ghosn, P.E.
Harris and Associates