Re: What code to use

Thanks all for the input. This is what makes this list so valuable. I have not
taken this on yet and will not until I get more information and do an inspection.
I was told that the owner is requesting a permit so that he can sell it, or at
least sell it easier. The building department has not required the permit. I
don't know if they are aware that the structure was ever built. It is a log home
with an exposed beam roof structure, so inspection of the roof and wall structure
will be possible. The floor is raised, so the anchor bolts will be visible. That
leaves the foundation as the difficult task to inspect. I will be talking to the
Building Official before I do anything else to verify that they are not requiring
this, and thus being "vindictive", and ask them what code they wish me to use. I
will use whatever they require.

As a side note, I evaluated a structure a few years ago in the same area that had
been in place for over 60 years. The design lateral load was from wind. The calcs
would not work. But since the structure had seen winds equal to the design wind
load numerous times in the past 60 years, they B.O. approved the permit.

Thanks all.