Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: Why "stiffening" girder or truss?

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
I would imagine it is what the design engineer had intended for this structural element to function as: "to stiffen some or all of the bridge."
-----Original Message-----
From: Heungbae Gil [mailto:heungbae(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2000 7:18 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)
Subject: Why "stiffening" girder or truss?

The girder or truss for cable supported bridges are called "stiffening girder or truss".
However, I could not understand why the giders are called "stiffening girder" rather than just girder.
Does anybody know the meaning of "stiffening" ?
Why is it called stiffening girder?
Thanx in advance
H Gil