Re: Pre-Eng. Steel Bldg Moment Ftg.w/ Tie-Rods;& Base PL. Shear

> From: James Hagensen <JHAGENSEN(--nospam--at)HNTB.com>

> If you have the option, I would simplify the design and alleviate a number
> of your concerns by extending the metal building columns by 2' (or whatever
> is required) and set the column on the footing.  The portion of steel column
> below grade can be encased in concrete for protection.  Just another option
> to consider.

Concrete encased steel will a) create a moment connection for which
neither the column or foundation will be designed and/or b) create a
potential for corrosion where you least want it - hidden inside 2' of
cracked concrete buried in a constantly moist environment.

--
Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International