Re: Pre-Eng. Steel Bldg Moment Ftg.w/ Tie-Rods;& Base PL. Shear

> From: "Ed Fasula" <tibbits2(--nospam--at)metro.lakes.com>

> It's one of those outfits that advertises "surplus" Wal-Mart buildings =
> at a "discount."  The owner was sucked into it and couldn't get out.  =

What's this about "surplus Wal-Mart buildings?" I've never heard this
one. What's the pitch? Are these buildings fabricated in North America?

If they are actually "surplus" buildings (e.g. fabricated but never
erected) then you are probably dealing with a broker and they will be
unable to change the columns. HOWEVER, that does not prevent you from
designing a "stilt". I did this for a builder who ordered his building
2' short. Time and money may prohibit this.

I am aware of projects that are pushed into production by an over-eager
manufacturer and then the project financing falls apart. I can't imagine
an outfit like Wal-Mart being such a customer or working with such a
manufacturer.

> From the way these people operate, they should be put out of business - =

Scams are based on the fact that greed overrides reason often enough to
pay big dividends.

Have you received any design documentation on the structure aside from
reactions? Is any of it actually sealed by a licensed engineer? If not,
I would recommend that your customer find a way out of the deal and go
talk to a real manufacturer ASAP.

> If it wasn't so scary it would be funny.

Be afraid ... be very afraid. You and your customer may not be getting
what has been represented and you have no easy/inexpensive way of
qualifying it.

--
Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International