RE: Hollow Core Plank surface roughness requirement

The 1977 ACI required intentionally roughening the top surface to a full
1/4" amplitude.  I used to specify plank that way even though I only knew of
one manufacturer that would do it.  After having some precasters tell me
that it was unnecessary even if the code required it for composite action
and that they would not bid our work if we were going to insist on it, I
took it out.  The code changed in 83 and only required intentionally
roughening the surface.  It still says that.  None of the precasters in our
area do that because according to their testing, it is unnecessary.  I don't
like it, but I quit saying anything about it, it is hard enough to get
precast bids without adding deterrents.

Roger Davis
SDS Architects, Inc
205 N. Dewey Street