Re: Light Gauge Steel - Full-Compliance Design

Dennis-

We have done projects like this for the military.
No wood at all present in the structures.

Metal stud walls, light gauge steel joists for the
floor supporting a metal deck and concrete, and
steel light gauge trusses for the roof.

The floor metal deck was one of those inexpensive
"waffle" type that was only 3/4" deep.  The deck
only had to span between the joists, so it was
adequate.  The concrete floor was considered rigid
and seismic forces were distributed to the shear
resisting elements based on the stiffness of each
element.

For shear walls we used nonproprietary tension only
braced frames, utilizing flat 10 ga. sheet metal
straps.  Holdowns were steel angles bolted to the
concrete slab, and the diagonal straps were welded
to the angle.  A heavy gauge double metal stud was
used at the holdowns.

These were used in areas of the world where wood is
not available (actually most of the world).  They
were very affordable and easy to put together.  They
were somewhat more expensive than conventional wood
framed, but not a significant premium.  The
contractor specializes in building housing for the
military in this country and all over the world
wherever there are US bases.  They do A LOT of both
wood framed, and metal buildings.  They seem to
prefer the wood framed, as it is somewhat less
expensive.

Hope this helps.

Lynn