Code violations

 Ralph Gareth Gray wrote:

Further, the law is ponderous and totally unpredictable.  I haven't asked
 recently because it's too depressing, but the California Supreme Court has
 (or was about to or whatever) ruled that it's OK for the contractor to leave
 out tie-downs in earthquake country because until the earthquake, no harm
has
 been done.

You are very close....The "Cal Supreme" has just recently heard oral argument
in the much awaited case of   Aas  (1998)...As you know the appellate court
in Aas had ruled in 1998 that serious violations of building codes are not
actionable as they have not yet caused other damages or injury, citing the
infamous economic loss rule, a bizarre ruling in my view.
However, reading the inquiries the various justices had with attorneys from
both sides of this litigation lead me to believe that they will overturn the
appellate ruling.  The gist of inquiries centered on whether the homeowners
should "role the dice" and hope that their families will survive the next big
one!!!!  Surprisingly, insurance defense attorneys responded that the
homeowners should shop around for a good insurance???? ( a more bizarre
response than the appellate ruling itself!!!!)

George Hakim
Attorney and CSES secretary