From: "T. Eric Gillham PE" <gk2(--nospam--at)kuentos.guam.net>
To: "seaoc list" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Wind Loading on Existing Structures
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 10:29:25 +1000

Listserver Members:

Does anyone on the list have any experience with Code required wind loading
on existing structures?  In particular, I am interested in knowing if there
are any codes that promulgate a lesser wind loading requirement on existing
structures, as compared to new structures, along the lines of NEHRP, ATC or
other codes with regard to seismic.

Currently, I have a project that involves a 30+ year old metal warehouse
structure that is being checked for code compliance for our 155mph design
wind speed.  This structure has been through 4 major typhoons with recorded
wind speeds exceeding 155mph sustained.  Based upon this, and the current
condition of the structure (it has weathered the years, no pun intended,
quite well with minimal if any signs of corrosion), it would appear that
MAJOR retrofitting would be overkill, although there are some areas that
need to be addressed regardless of what requirements I adhere to.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

T. Eric R. Gillham PE
PO Box 3207 Agana Guam 96932
Ph: (671) 477-9224