Re: Two Tiered Proposal and Proposal for the Establishment of the Academy of Structural Engineering

Dennis,

I am not as up on this topic as it sounds like I need to get.

My two cents for now.  Maybe we are going in the wrong direction.  We
are making this more complicated.  It sounds like possibly there will be
licensed architects, PE's, SE I's and SE II's in California.  All with
varying structural responsibilities they can take, some of which
overlaps and some which doesn't.

Why not have just one structural license that means something.  Let the
PE's who are doing structural work pass the structural exam.  If they
don't pass the SE exam, maybe they shoudn't be doing structural, even if
it is a "minor" structure.  This way a PE who does transportation or
sanitation work can not legally take responsibility for a structural
project.  The same probably applies to the architectural license.

I can't think of any other profession that has this kind of confusion.
Can you imagine a Lawyer I that can practice ding bat law and a Lawyer
II?  Can you imagine a Doctor I and a Doctor II.

Lets keep it simple.  Those who can take responsibility for a structural
project should be structural engineers.  Whatever exams, special courses
or continuing education that may mean, so be it.  If you are not, you
can't.

Jeff Coronado, S.E.
West Covina, CA