RE: free internet access

I had been subscribed to Freewwweb for a while, until they filed Chapter 11
and was acquired by Juno.  Freewwweb was great --- you didn't *have* to use
their proprietary software, nor did you have to use Windoze, nor was your www
browsing cluttered with advertisements.  From what I understand, Juno
*requires* that you use their proprietary software and use Windoze, and, if
you disable ad display, you are billed for the service.

On another list that I subscribe to, the current free ISP of interest now is
One Nation Online (www.1nol.com).  They don't have a local access number
where I am located (Tucson, Arizona), so I have no personal experience with
them.

Apparently a number of these "free" ISP's "share" the same local access
telephone numbers.  People who had subscribed to Freewwweb and changed to
1NOL when Freewwweb went belly-up have commented that the local access number
was the same as Freewwweb's.

It probably would be a good idea to maintain service with a paid subscription
ISP (one that has different rates for hours of usage per month), together
with a free service ISP as the free ones can disappear quickly.  The first
hint that I got about Freewwweb going belly-up was posts on the other
listservice that I subscribe to.  The first "official" notification was when
I logged onto Freewwweb and got a message from Juno that they had acquired
the service.  Mail that had been sent to a Freewwweb address wasn't available
unless you subscribed to Juno.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Greg Smith wrote:

>>     I was just looking into some of the companies that offer free -
unlimmited internet access.  Has anyone on the list been down this road?  It
would be informative for all (and cheaper) if there is a really good free
server that works right.<<