RE: Axial load on stair stringers?

Marlou -
 I recently completed an analysis of stairs where the stringers were
structural steel and were "cranked"(i.e., the stringer profile, if viewed in
side elevation, was "doglegged"). Due to this profile, the stringer support
reactions included a horizontal tensile force in addition to the vertical
force. Since the stringer was supported at each end by concrete beams via
mechanical anchors, I had to design the anchors accordingly.

 I'm not aware of any specific design guidance for stairs(other than a code
prescribed 100 psf live load). Simply analyze/design the stringers as you
would with any other steel beam-column member.

Charlie Canitz