RE: NCSEA Press Release

Paul,

While I don't know all the details yet, I do know a few items about this.
I will be learning more when I grab the information from my boss who
attended the NCSEA convention.

Here is what I do know...

The intent is to provide a certification program.  I believe the base
intent (at least initially) is not to replace the current system of
licensure/registration.  Replacing current licensure/registrtion is just
not practical...it would require modifying/change the
licensure/registration acts in every state (ie get the same law passed in
EVERY state legislature, etc).

The idea behind the certification program is to "certify" structural
engineers to indicate that they have appropriate minimum proficiencies in
certain areas of structural engineering.  As Stan mentioned, the model
would be off of the medical profession.  For doctors, they are licensed by
the state to practice medicine...ANY MEDICINE (ie surgery, cardiology,
etc).  They then get certified in a specialty (i.e. cadiology, nephrology,
etc).  If they stay in private practice (ie open their own doctors office)
then they don't have to be certified in a specialty, but usually are.
However, if they want priviledges at a hospital then the hospital REQUIRES
them to be certified in a specific area, which then is the only area that
they can practice in at the hospital.

NCSEA is looking at the possibility to create similar system for
structural engineers.  Some of the reasons (I believe) are to better
control the minimum education requirements and to better insure a level of
minimum competency since the profession doesn't have too much control over
the licensure process.

As I said, I don't have a really good base of information yet.  Maybe Stan
will share some more information with us (or I will as I gain more info).

Hope this helps some.

Scott