Re: Light Gauge Steel - Full-Compliance Design

Dennis,

I have been designing several plywood deck diaphragms on Light Gauge Steel
lately, without any problem with the City of El Segundo. In my case the
diaphragms are flexible and I am using ICBO #4144 which also gives you
criteria to determine the corresponding deflection.

Hope this helps

Julio M. Guerra S.E

.

                    "Dennis S.
                    Wish"                To:     "Lynn Howard" <lhoward(--nospam--at)silcom.com>
                    <dennis.wish@        cc:     "SEAINT Listservice" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
                    gte.net>             Subject:     Re: Light Gauge Steel - Full-Compliance Design

                    10/02/2000
                    10:40 AM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    seaint

Lynn
I'm in digest mode which makes quick responses difficult. I wanted to thank
you for the advice. I guess what I wanted to know was how to address the
issues of diaphragm deflection which are calculated for blocked wood
diaphragms. How do we treat a light-gauge steel diaphragm with plywood when
concrete is not being used. In my case, the Architect is trying to make a
statement by designing a conventional home using only cold-form steel
(which
is not exposed). The energy restrictions just barely bring this up to
minimum compliance which should - in my opinion, defeats the advantages of
steel compared to wood in a desert climate.
The Architect also argues that wood warps, twists and in nominal sizes is
not desirable to him. His bias comes from more than 30 years designing
steel
(light-gauge) industrial and commercial structures.

I don't see the advantage when material and labor cost is higher (the
builder who will do this project has little experience in light-gauge
steel).

Mike Krakower called me in the middle of writing you, to offer me his
opinions. As you indicated, Mike feels it is "doable" with a pan deck and
lightweight concrete and rigid braced frames (verses vertical plywood
shear), but when trying to design it to full compliance, there is not much
known about the performance of the horizontal diaphragms with plywood
sheathing to apply to the rigid analysis. Mike indicated some work coming
out of testing at Irvine that may provide additional information (to be
released as a COLA report). I'll check into this further.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond - I do appreciate it.

Regards,
Dennis S. Wish, PE
The Structuralist Administrator for:
http://www.structuralist.net
AEC-Residential Listservice
admin(--nospam--at)structuralist.net
(208) 361-5447 E-Fax

discussion forums at"

subscription (always free). To subscribe send an e-mail to one of the
following addresses:

For Full Listservice:    aec-residential-request(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc
For Digest Format:  aec-residential-digest-request(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc

To subscribe OR Unsubscribe - enter one of the following words in the body
of the message and send. Do not place information in the subject line as it
will be ignored.

subscribe

unsubscribe