Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
Re: modeling cables with SAP2K[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
- Subject: Re: modeling cables with SAP2K
- From: "Enny Chen" <enny(--nospam--at)gm-eng.com.hk>
- Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 13:14:07 +0800
First of all, you need to know SAP 2000 Nonlinear (note: you need to have this particular version of SAP2K, but not those SAP2000 PLUS...etc.) is really not a good software in modelling or doing analysis of cables. Personally, I have just come accross the same problem a few weeks ago. Anyways, hope the followings can help you. 1> DEFINE-->NLLINK PROPERTIES, where you choose HOOK besides the icon TYPE. Also you need to define all the properties of the cables, such as weight, mass etc. If you want the cable to take tension only, under DIRECTIONAL PROPERTIES, you need to click U1 and NONLINEAR and defone the stiffness of cable by clicking MODIFY/SHOW FOR U1. 2> DRAW--> DRAW NLLINK ELEMENT, where you draw the cables in the proper position in the structure. 3> Highlight the element you just draw and ASSIGN--> NLLINK 4> Because these nonlinear element are valid in TIME HISTORY CASES only, which means if you run the design in STATIC LOAD CASES as normal, it will not show the cable (tension) force. So you need to define the TIME HISTORY CASES under DEFINE. So, when you read the output, you will see the cable only taking tansion. Enny ----- Original Message ----- From: Khosrownia, Ghassem SPK <GKhosrownia(--nospam--at)spk.usace.army.mil> To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org> Sent: Wednesday, September 27, 2000 11:35 PM Subject: modeling cables with SAP2K > Hi, > > How can I model cables in SAP2k? Thanks. > > Ghassem >
- Prev by Subject: minimum depyh of foundation in hard rock Thumbrile.
- Next by Subject: modeling of elastomeric bearing
- Previous by thread: RE: I-code errata posted on website
- Next by thread: THE CASE FOR NATIONAL LICENSING OF STRUCTURAL ENGINEERS