static loads

I'm a young engineer who just recently started to work, so I have a lot of questions, one of which is: how do most of you experienced guys input static loads to the analysis software you use?  When you have to assign loads to a beam, do you use trapezoidal shaped distributed loads?  Do you input uniform distributed loads?  In SAP2000 the time you save inputing uniform instead of trapezoidal loads is considerable.  Is the extra work worth it?

Thanks in advance

Tomas Matta