From: Sprague, Harold O. [mailto:SpragueHO(--nospam--at)bv.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 03, 2000 9:06 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Reinforcing for a Metal Building System Slab-on-Grade

Dave,

There was a guideline that was developed for Butler Manufacturing called
"Foundation Design and Construction Manual".  It was developed by the people
at Computerized Structural Design, Inc. They developed a methodology that
given a thrust magnitude calculates the length of hairpin required for a
given mesh.  You have to transfer the forces from the hairpins into the
mesh.  The mesh then either uses the slab in friction to resist the thrust
or ties the 3 hinged arch together.

The UBC 1907.12 values are for slab shrinkage only, and have nothing to do
with the applied lateral thrust.

There is no real code guidance here.  You will just have to use first
principles.  You will have to develop the reinforcing required based on
acceptable performance (crack acceptability), and calculate the flexural
reinforcing, the temperature / shrinkage reinforcing, and the reinforcing
required to develop the thrust in the hairpins.

Engineering unencumbered by the whims of code moguls.

Regards,
Harold Sprague