Greetings!

Dear fellow engineers!

Greetings!

I am Arman Rivera, a practicing structural engineer in the Philippines.  Our firm recently purchased the software Staad Pro 2000 and from the limited hands-on I have had on it, this software is remarkable.  However, as I've been reading the manual that came with the software, I have many questions regarding it.  Is anybody familiar with Staad Pro 2000 that won't mind answering questions from a novice user?

I've been using Staad Pro 2000 to design communication towers.  My first question is, should the tower be classified as SPACE or TRUSS?  What I've done is to treat it is a space and then assign the moment releases at the end of the diagonals and verticals only (not the main posts), so that these members would carry only axial forces.  Is this correct?

My next question is on the support conditions.  I have modeled the mat foundation using finite elements in Staad Pro 2000.  I have defined the joint supports as ELASTIC MAT by specifying the modulus of subgrade reactions (kv).  Given the allowable soil bearing capacity, how is the modulus of subgrade reaction computed?

I have many more questions regarding this software, any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Regards,
Arman S. Rivera

www.edsamail.com