Re: Greetings!

Arman,

I can really give you an answer on your STAAD questions since it has been
a while since I used it, but I can give a response on the modulus of
subgrade reaction since it is not really STAAD related.

The modulus of subgrade reaction really needs to come from a geotechnical
engineer.  I am not aware of a way to determine it from "allowable"
bearing pressure, but there are some geotechnical types on the list (they
like to see how those of us on the darkside, aka structural engineering,
live) who be able to offer some input.

Basically, the modulus of subgrade reaction is the load required that must
be applied to a plate of a set dimension (and stiff enough to behave as a
"rigid" plate) to make that plate "settle" a some distance.  For
example, take a plate that is 600mm diameter and apply some rather sizable
load.  Measure how much it deflects/settles.  With that information (plate
size, load, and deflection) the modulus can be determined with some
adjustment for the flexibility of the plate.  Basically, the modulus is
the pressure determine from taking the load divided by the plate area
which is then divided by the deflection.  The resulting value is in the
units of load/length^3.

Therefore, I would suggest that you need to get some additional
geotechnical information.

Hope that helps.

Scott