RE: Light Gauge Steel - Full-Compliance Design

From: Sid Danandeh
Sent: Thursday, October 05, 2000 1:11 PM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: RE: Light Gauge Steel - Full-Compliance Design

Dennis

City of LA has a good reference advisory on residential steel construction
including energy design requirements , structural detailing etc.

Also Nabi Youssef's office is involved in designing a 5 story dormitory in
San Diego using light gauge steel. When I called them they were very helpful
. You may want to call them , they have tested several shear walls etc. just
for this purpose.

As you know the 1997 UBC's plywood shear wall values for light gauge have
limits i.e.  the steel to be gauge 20  and Nabie's office did tests to
overcome those limits.

Also most cities now accept the ST12. ST12 is the  structural advisory
bulletin  by the LA city and also adopted by the LA regional code committee
consisting of more then 50 cities in the LA region. That indicates that you
may assume flexible diaphragm distribution if you add 20 % to shear wall
values etc.

You can down load that from the LA regional code committee sites.

Also you can contact Nick Deliqudri SE. He is the head of research at the LA
city. I am sure he will give you copies of these documents. If it helps tell
him Sid from Palmdale referred you to him. His number is 1 818 756 7659.

good luck