Fwd: Certification of Structural Engineers

This is a welcome direction for NCSEA to pursue.  I believe that it is in the best interests of the profession to distinguish ourselves from civil engineering for the same reasons that Dennis Wish enumerated.  With the increasing complexity of both structural and civil design, it would be uncommon for a person to be qualified to do both (and if they were, they could get both licenses).  As a profession, we should work to distinguish ourselves from the other design professions and to lobby for requirements limiting structural design to structural engineers (with perhaps exceptions for "conventional residential" construction, ect.).

I depart from Dennis's viewpoint, in that I believe the designations for SE1 and SE2 are too complicated and difficult to implement.  We should leave it to the engineers to practice in their area of structural competence.  I wouldn't touch a wood building with a ten foot pole (steel pole that is) and I don't see where the 1 or 2 designation would mitigate that.  To take this discussion to it's logical conclusion, we would need to create designations such as SE-1W to show competence in simple wood structures.  Let's set our goals on something that's achievable, such as the SE designation and maybe this action would trickle down to the universities and they would offer structural degrees rather than civil degrees.  How many structural design courses did engineers give up to take sanitary or transportation engineering?

My $.02

Curt La Count
Jacobs Engineering
Portland, OR