Re: Blast Resistant Design

While I can't answer your first question, but can offer some thoughts on
number two.

The concept behind blast design is typically to channel the blast in a
direction that would minimize harm to the public.  Obviously, you don't
want the blast to "explode" into the building.  This typically leaves
"directing" the blast away from the building.  If the room to be design
for blast is only a single story piece of the structure (most typical
case), then either a section of roof or exterior wall can be designed to
be the "weak" link to direct the blast.  If there is structure overhead,
then it will have to be an exterior.

Basically, the idea is to design a code determine size of either roof or
wall to be a weak link.  The intent is that this piece of wall will be
extremely weaker than the other walls and/or roof sections.  Therefore,
when the blast load "hits" the exterior skin (roof or walls), the
pre-determined/designed section will provide explosion relief.  The
sections to be designed as the weak are picked by which direction will not
endanger the public.

Hope this helps.

Scott