RE: Floor and Bridge deck vibrations

Regarding the footbridge, get a copy of AASHTO's Pedestrian Bridge Guide
Specification.  It places limits on the natural frequency of the structure.

-----Original Message-----
From: marfra(--nospam--at)opus.co.tt [mailto:marfra(--nospam--at)opus.co.tt]
Sent: October 05, 2000 3:52 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Floor and Bridge deck vibrations

I am the design engoineer on  2 projects that have relatively long spans
and I am concerned with horizontal sway and floor vibration.

One project is a footbridge spanning 175 feet in seismic zone 3. The
footbridge is only 8 feet wide and my concerns are sidesway and
vibration from pedestrian traffic. Also of concern is the vibration from
vehicular traffic from the highway passing below on the foudations.

Another project is a dance floor supported on a steel frame with a 40ft
by 20ft grid. The floor thickness need not be more than 5".

Could anyone recommended reading material that could assist me.

Thank You
Mark Francois