RE: Light Gauge Steel - Full-Compliance Design

Sid,
Thank you (and everyone) for the information. I did not get this project
(although my personal bias for high-end custom homes in the desert did me
more damage than my fee) but would like to pursue the discussion. You
mentioned the ST12 provision which I have read. This is similar to the
provisions published by the City of San Jose (which I posted on my website
at http://www.structuralist.net/Code_Mods.htm ). If L.A. City will allow me,
I will publish ST-12 on our website as well so that other jurisdictions can
review the document and recommend its support in their area or modify it to
meet their particular needs.

I can understand the advantages of using light-gauge for multi-residential
structures (although I have only heard of one other 5-story structure
designed with LG). As I recall, San Diego is a seismic zone 3. Is this one
of the reasons for allowing a 5-story Light Gauge structure?

Thanks again to all who have responded - I appreciate the fine help.
Regards,
Dennis S. Wish, PE
The Structuralist Administrator for:
http://www.structuralist.net