Re: Certification of Structural Engineers

I echo Jeff's, "keep it simple".  I would recommend the same for the
code(s).  One "good" lawsuit (like a good hand grenade in an enclosed
space), and we're all unemployable.

On certification...  My perception is that the problem area is not
engineering, but code interpretation.  We can't agree among ourselves on
code interpretation.  How can someone possibly pass an SE examination
unless he worked in close association with the "code preparers" and is
familar with their (apparently prejudicial) interpretations?

I know only one way to become "competent in all materials"...  Live a long
time.

The "first principles" (Was that you, Harold?) haven't changed lately.  You
don't have to be expert in wood to design in wood.  Wood, BTW, is the most
difficult material I've designed, because properties differ so "wildly"
with different types (directions, etc.) of loading.  But you can design
with wood so long as you become familar with the materials.

In the design office, you're not normally under the same time constraints
as on a formal exam.  We all can read.   And we can all ask questions.

Codes however...  Quoting Pogo (if any of you admit to being old enough to
remember him), "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

Fountain E. Conner, P.E.
Gulf Breeze, Fl. 32561