modulus of sugrade reaction

Scott,

your explanation on the modulus of subrade reaction is quite helpful.  as i am a structural engineer, my knowledge in soil engineering is quite limited.  we basically depend on the geotechnical report when it comes to designing foundation.  and for the most part, the only useful information we get from the geotechnical report is the allowable soil bearing pressure.   and usually that is enough for us to design simple foundations such as isolated footings.  but now that i am faced with designing mat foundations, with the software we're using, the allowable soil bearing pressure that the geotechnical reports provide is no longer enough.  like you said, i think i should start requesting this info (the modulus) from the geotechnical people.

thank you once again.

regards,
arman

www.edsamail.com