Destructive and Non-Destructive Testing for Wood

I have a project I'm looking at proposing. A local natural history foundation,
which provides outdoor classroom instruction for schoolchildren called me last
week.

Seems they have a wood observation platform which is supposed to handle about
twenty people at a time, that sustained some damage a couple of years ago when a
tree fell on it. The damage looks to be slight, but it does raise some questions
in my mind as to the strength of the wood members.

I have in mind to obtain some properties of the wood members, either my
non-destructive (preferably) tests, or even destructive means.

Does anyone have any experience with this? What sorts of tests are available for
this purpose?

Thanks for any light shed.