Re: Destructive and Non-Destructive Testing for Wood

I don't see why you need to test the existing members. If they are split
or damaged in any way they should be replaced. You may need to upsize the
members due to original inadequacy, Code changes or new loads. Am I
missing something?

Stan Scholl, P. E.

On Sat, 07 Oct 2000 09:21:46 -0500 Bill Polhemus <bpolhem(--nospam--at)swbell.net>
writes:
> I have a project I'm looking at proposing. A local natural history
> foundation,
> which provides outdoor classroom instruction for schoolchildren
> called me last
> week.
>
> Seems they have a wood observation platform which is supposed to
> handle about
> twenty people at a time, that sustained some damage a couple of
> years ago when a
> tree fell on it. The damage looks to be slight, but it does raise
> some questions
> in my mind as to the strength of the wood members.
>
> I have in mind to obtain some properties of the wood members, either
> my
> non-destructive (preferably) tests, or even destructive means.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with this? What sorts of tests are
> available for
> this purpose?
>
> Thanks for any light shed.

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!