Original Text
From: "arman s rivera" <asrivera(--nospam--at)edsamail.com.ph>, on 10/08/2000 2:20 AM:
To: SMTP@MKC38601@Servers[<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>]

bill,

i think i know what you mean.

we had a representative of rei visit us one time for a seminar on fabricad
(staad's steel detailing software) and in my  desperation for help, i
literally yanked him into our office, sat him down in front of my computer
and showed him what was happening with our staad pro 2000.  and still he
wasn't much help.  he left with a promise that he'll look into it (i gave
him a copy of my input file) and that he'll e-mail me.  he e-mailed me once
and then he disappeared.

to give you a background, i was working on a staad model with 17,000
members!! (don't ask how i did the model) and after 16 hours of run time
(again, don't ask) staad would give me a message that it could not create
some file, it was not an error message, because after that message, staad
would say that the run was completed and that the outfile file was ok.  but
when i go into staad, no data was available!  there were no moments, forces,
 nothing.  16 hours of run time wasted!

the rei staff told me that it was my model, the 17,000 members was too much
for the program to handle.  but i told him that the staad pro was an
unlimited version, meaning it should be able to handle an unlimited number
of members.  if that's the case, they shouldn't call it unlimited version,
they should call it unlimited version (17,000 max).

i never did finish that project, the owner, due to some other problem, put
the entire project on hold, indefinitely.  this was two months ago, i
resigned from that company and i don't i'll be working with 17,000+ members
again.

and this is also why i did not contact rei for my queries on staad.

arman

>To qualify this, the problems are two-fold:
>
>1. The people at Research Engineers (publishers of STAAD) have not made
the
>effort to address bugs, many of them long-standing and well documented by
users,
>in the program. Some of these are related to methods of analysis and
design, but
>others are simply due to a poor implementation of STAAD on the Windows
platform.

>2. REI's support went from "okay" to "abyssmal". There are only TWO
SOFTWARE

www.edsamail.com