From: "Bill Polhemus" <bpolhem(--nospam--at)swbell.net>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>; <aec-residential(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc>;
<structx(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc>
Sent: Saturday, October 07, 2000 8:21 AM
Subject: Destructive and Non-Destructive Testing for Wood

I have a project I'm looking at proposing. A local natural history
foundation,
which provides outdoor classroom instruction for schoolchildren called me
last
week.

Seems they have a wood observation platform which is supposed to handle
about
twenty people at a time, that sustained some damage a couple of years ago
when a
tree fell on it. The damage looks to be slight, but it does raise some
questions
in my mind as to the strength of the wood members.

I have in mind to obtain some properties of the wood members, either my
non-destructive (preferably) tests, or even destructive means.

Does anyone have any experience with this? What sorts of tests are available
for
this purpose?

Thanks for any light shed.