RE: Certification of Structural Engineers

"Therefore, the PE in WA will allow you to get reciprocity with all the
states that don't have an SE license (which is most states).  This may or
may not matter to you."

Thanks for your reply.  Reciprocity is an important issue for me.  In fact,
WA requires the PE to qualify to take the SE, so I don't doubt the economic
value of taking the PE.  I certainly wouldn't be spending a notable chunk of
my spare time for months on end studying if I saw no pay off.  It just seem
like a shame that our profession is required to spends time working to feign
competency in areas that we do not use (traffic signaling, open channel
flow, etc.) when that exam review time could be applied to issue more
germane to us (steel moment frame connections, ACI Appendix B design, IBC
2000, etc.).  As we conteplate what the various plans for national SE
standards could mean, I think that my PE experience emphasizes to me the
need to be sure that new levels of registration are beneficial to the
profession, and don't just represent another hoop to jump through, more of
legal than practical value.

Paul Crocker