RE: Destructive and Non-Destructive Testing for Wood

Bill,

Check out the following:

	1.	Evaluation, Maintenance, and Upgrading of Wood Structures, A
Guide and Commentary, ASCE, 1982.

	2.	Wood Handbook--Wood as an Engineering Material.

	3. 	Stress wave timing nondestructive evaluation tools for
inspecting historic structures-A guide for use and interpretation.

Documents #2 & #3 are available on line at:
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/pubs.htm

To get a sample identified for species, collect and send a sample to the
Center for Wood Research according to the guidelines on:
http://www2.fpl.fs.fed.us/WoodID/idfact.html.  The samples required for
species identification are very small.  Just bring a pocket knife.

You might also want to browse the web page:
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/EPW/welcome.htm

Basically you need to:
1.	Identify the species (send sample)
2.	Grade the wood (visual grading per the rules of the species of
lumber).
3.	Determine the existing condition.
4.	Determine the member capacity.

Regards,