Re: Short anchor bolt projection

Harold,

     <<  I have run this calculation many times.  . . . . .  >>

Since you appear to have experience and expertise in this matter, I would
pose this question to you.  What would be amiss in field welding the nut to
the anchor rod and welding the nut to the base plate?  It would appear to me
that a weld from nut to base plate would resist shifting and shear, while
the weld to nut and anchor rod would induce additional tension in the anchor
rod due to the "upsetting" and drawing effect of the weld.

I have done this many times as a field expedient to mis-set anchors, but
have never really thought about the consequences untill this question came
up.  Of course, I realize that this particular question poses damage to the
galvanized coating on the anchors, but that is easily repaired.

Jimmy  C.......(hisself)