From: Bill Allen
Sent: Friday, October 06, 2000 6:24 AM
Subject: RE: omega

Mark-

From what I understand, the omega "penalty" is applicable for components tranferring an offset load such as a beam supporting holddowns in a vertical sense or transfer diaphragms in a horizontal sense. The shear walls themselves have no penalty, just the elements forming the discontinuity.

Hope that helps,

Bill Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
ALLEN DESIGNS
Consulting Structural Engineers

Laguna Niguel, CA
http://www.AllenDesigns.com
V (949) 365-5696
F (949) 249-2297

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark D. Baker [mailto:shake4bake(--nospam--at)earthlink.net]
Sent: Thursday, October 05, 2000 5:11 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: omega

Volume II Seismic Design Examples, Page 75

Why is omega not applied to the second floor shear panel load which is input to the diaphragm and transfered to 1st floor offset shear resisting elements.

They only apply omega to the second floor diaphragm load, and not the load which is being distributed from above. I don't get it.

Regards,

Mark