Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: Certification of Structural Engineers

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
You should not have trouble getting reciprocity/comity in most state
with the SE-I exam instead of the Civil.  Several states prefer the SE-I
over the Civil if you do structural work.  Connecticut, eventhough
issuing PE's, does so by discipline.  Since I took the Civil Exam (back
in 1988 - one of the first years the SE-I was given) I had to get a
"Civil PE", eventhough my 16 years of experience, and my degree were
structural.  Luckily, their board said I could practice as a Structural
based on my experience, but they refused to change my designation to

Georgia, on the other hand, will (now) only give reciprocity to a PE
doing structural work if they passed the SE-I exam, or have 10 yrs of
structural experience.  Those with 4-9 years structural experience need
not apply.  I had several PA PE friends that fell in the 4-9 year group
and get turned down for reciprocity in GA.  Luckily they both had
partners that were able to get reciprocity.

In general, I believe it is better for "new" engineers to take the SE-I
exam if they want to practice structural, than to take the Civil exam.

Charles F. Espenlaub, III, P.E.
Martin-Espenlaub Engineering