RE: Short anchor bolt projection

Jimmy  C, thanks for your comments, but I'm still unclear as to your intent:

> Who said anything about a plug weld? ...
> I had in mind a fillet weld around the perimeter of your 1" anchor rod.

Guess I misunderstood what you wrote: "field welding the nut to the anchor
rod ..."? Are you referring to a fillet weld between the anchor rod and the
nut within the recess? While technically different than a "plug weld" the
results seem similar to me - won't a plug weld attach to the perimeter of
the nut similar to a fillet weld?

Or do you mean to weld the anchor rod directly to the base plate, across the

1/8" oversized hole?

> As I understand it you have "an" anchor rod to fret with.  "An" meaning,
> to me, "one".

Actually I have 4 anchor bolts each at 2 column foundations. The anchor
bolts
were set correctly, but a connection redesign and field modification at the
top
of the column requires us to make up 3/4" somewhere - so we want to add 3/4"

grout below the base plate. The contractor wants a "quick" solution, i.e.
needs
to start erection (the steel is allude on site).